Thursday, July 21, 2016

School Supply Shopping On A Budget

Tis the season!! It's time to get those school supplies again. How did we get to the end of the summer already?!


As the mom/step-mom, I'm always the one that buys all three kids' school supplies in our house. Sometimes I have to ask for help because some years it gets a little ridiculous ($$$). This year, it turns out that it's not too bad, but let's be honest we are all on some sort of budget.

Here are my top tips for school supply shopping on a budget:

1. Shop early!
The early bird gets the worm. I started my school shopping a few weeks after the supplies were out, but about 6 weeks before school started. This means you get first pick of ALL supplies because no one else is shopping yet. When I went to Target, there was only one other Mom in the whole school supply section. Get out there, y'all!!!

2. Cartwheel!
I used the Target Cartwheel app this year to get some good deals also. I took advantage of a coupon they had where if you purchased $25 in supplies, you got a $5 gift card!

3. Check the ads! This seems like a no-brainer, I know, BUT you have to check the ads weekly. Some stores have better deals than others on different weeks. If you are seriously on a budget, you have to check the ads. I know it seems like a lot of work (ain't nobody got time for all of that!! at least I don't), but I was able to get Crayola crayons for 50% off at Dollar General recently by doing this. And when you have three kids to purchase for, these savings really add up!!

4. Dollar stores aren't always best.
This goes along with the above - the dollar stores don't always have the best deals! Some products are a steal for a dollar, but I actually had more success shopping at Walmart or Target. I found the supplies there were normally way under a dollar (except for pencil pouches).

5. Make sure the school supply list is right. 
This is kind of joking, but also kind of true. I had my step-son's school supplies completely purchased... OR SO I THOUGHT!!! Until a teacher let me know via Facebook that we had the wrong list. Well, that was the list they sent with the registration information so I figured it was accurate but apparently not. Real life?!!!!

What is the best school supply shopping tip you have??

1 comment:

  1. #5 is so true! We picked up a supply list at Target. I held off just in case. Then the teacher gave us a list. At a glance, they looked the same. I just happened to double check. The Target list had an extra item on it! I saw this just in time to pull the spiral notebooks from his book bag the night before he started. Luckily they were in my stash and not something I had just purchased. With our year round school schedule, I've learned to stock up on extra "classic" items (spiral notebooks, composition books, pre-sharpened pencils, Elmer's gluesticks, etc) when they go on clearance at the end of the back to school season. Saves me money and I'm prepared for mid-year requests as well as next year's list. I only spent $7.50 on supplies this year doing that.

    ReplyDelete